Sunday 26 December 2010

OUGD301 Evaluation

OUGD301, With the idea of doing 4 briefs being mandatory, I wanted to do a few more,
So I was aiming to put 5-6 briefs, including a live brief and a competition brief.
Starting off I had my 5 briefs put down, for the group discussion. Going into the discussion, the brief I had planned to do where, Quentin Taratino movie posters, LCA FC posters, Range of products for a music artist, magazine brief and a unknown competition brief.

The brief I kicked started with was the Quentin Taratino brief, I estimated to 2-3 weeks on this brief, wanting to design a poster for Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol.01, Kill Bill Vol.02 and Inglorious Basterds, as well as a 10+ page programme about the movies and times etc, also wanted to design some tickets for each of the movies.
I feel this brief went well for me, designed some nice simple posters, which where complimented a lot during crits by fellow students, my biggest fault was that it took me much longer than expected, I took approximately 5 weeks on this brief, on and off whilst doing other briefs, but I feel the package of design I done for the brief was strong.

LCA FC, was a live brief, for the Leeds College of Art football team. As I do play for the team, I noticed there is no advertising around the college for the event, so I thought this could be a perfect opportunity to put together so some work for a live brief. I spoke to James Murphy who is the organiser of the team and we agreed that I would design 3 posters and the send out card, with is a card that is sent out to students coming to the university the following year, and the fill in the card and send them back, if they are interested in the football team. This brief was the last brief I put together, cause I struggled to get the studio, and needed to wait for my friend Josh Rose who is a photographer, to get the time away from his own work. But we got it with just a week before hand in, so I got a large selection of photographs and added the other bits of information the day after, and designed the sign of card. So all in all this brief took me 2 days. The print for the card wasn't presented very professionally with limited access to the print room, so I had to use a mac suite printer. But they will but printed in a large bunch towards the end of year to send out. I was happy with how the posters came out and got positive feed back from fellow students, James Murphy and selection of the football team themselves. So within a few months they will be displayed around the university.

Competition Brief, I selected a past Don't Panic brief, called TV. It was to design a poster about what you think of TV, and I came up with the idea and slogan, Imagination On Television. Focusing on the point of how and idea has gone from a persons mind, and gone on to a TV screen. So after messing about with a load of designs I stumbled across the idea of using the no signal screen, but changing the multiple colours to a shade of pink, making it look a brain. I felt happy with this idea and I was given good feed back, saying it was clever and simple, I designed 4 posters, introduction TV's along with the no signal/brain image. This brief taking me 4 days on the whole to complete, designing and printing 4 posters all together.

My intentions at the beginning of the module was to put together a magazine, and items for a musical artist, but I decided to swap and change a bit, focusing on a brief I wanted to get done called Club 27, something I started during summer, students saying they where impressed and I should expand on it. I also wanted to get my personal identity done, with not having one yet.

Personal Identity, coming into third year I was yet to have a identity, I had a logo, but knew I could put something better together. My plan was to put together a Letter Head, Compliment Slip, Business Card, Portfolio DVD, & rebrand a logo. After messing with a load of ideas and designs I focused on triangles for my logo cause they worked well with my initials and decided on the colour white an a dark shade of blue. With the designs I put together I was being told that the designs, some me up as a designer and it is "very you," so on a whole with the designs I am very pleased how they turned out and that I have finally put them together, now I have items to send and give industries and possible clients.

Final Brief, 27 Club, idea being to design a folder which included a a2 poster, and card and bits of information about each of the member. Wanted to do t-shirts, but my time management let me down, not getting the studio to screen print them, with it being fully booked, but I do plan to get them done beginning of next year. Member being Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin & Brian Jones, I selected a colour that seen fit for each member and stuck to that with the different designs I put together. The idea and designs got most appreciation out of all my briefs, most compliments about the logo, was known as "clever" as it was the same design when rotated 180degrees. This brief was the brief I was most happiest with out of the 5 I put together, biggest fault being the folder I designed, the design was fine just putting them together let me down, but I feel the photographs of the work I done, done them a lot of justice.

Time Management, I feel my management of time was a lot better than it has been in the past, putting together alot of action plans, daily action plans and making sure I got them done before the day was out. Biggest fault being the Quentin Taratino brief, taking a lot longer to get finished than expected, disturbing whilst doing other briefs, but still feel I got it done with a good out come.

OUGD301, as a module on a whole I am really happy with my outcomes, feel I am putting together some good, professional, industry looking work. Getting more compliments about my work than I ever have. As well as that I feel I am working a lot harder and more determined to get the work done to a high standard to start proving I can hack this side of design and prove to myself I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment